Although they label it as “beta”, YouTube has done some re-working of their video management interfaces in quite an intriguing manner. With their interface changes, the Help Center Page is a little out of date. The comment mechanism on their blog doesn’t work (note all the double comments—mine didn’t even show up). I thought I’d post here instead.
You can share your private video by following the steps below:
- Sign into your account.
- Enter the “My Videos” section. There are three ways to do this:
- Click the “My Videos” link in the “Account” dropdown at the top of the page.
- Click the “Account” link at the top of the page, then click the “Uploaded Videos” link in the “My Videos” section.
- Click the “Account” link at the top of the page, then click the “Videos, Favorites & Playlists” link in the “My Account” dropdown.
- Click the edit button next to the video you would like to share.
- In the address bar of your Web browser, change the the text
my_videos_edit2in the URL to
- Under “Broadcast Options”, click “choose options”
- Click the “Private” radio button “+” next to the label that contains the user you want to share with. If you do not have a Label set up, do the following:
- Click the “edit contacts” link.
- Click “New Label” either under the “Label” drop down or the “New” drop down.
- Enter a name for the list, then click “Create”
- Click on “All Contacts”
- Click the name of your contact.
- Click “Edit”
- Check the check box next to the label to which you want to add the friend.
- Click the “Save Changes”
- Click the “Update Video Info” button.
And there it is: eight (or fifteen) simple steps to sharing a private video on YouTube.